Invisalign is the technology behind straightening the teeth without braces. It is a removable and “invisible” aligner made from a clear thermoplastic material custom made to suit only the patient’s teeth. Invisible alignment = Invisalign.
Invisalign aligners should be worn for two weeks before being replaced by another set. With the aligners the teeth will move in closer and closer until the desired result is achieved.
For best results, proper use and care of aligners should be practiced. Dental treatments don’t come in cheap so you need to take care of your dental appliances.
- Make sure both your teeth are clean before wearing the aligner. Proper oral hygiene is always a must. Clean your Invisalign aligners by gently brushing it. If you have an Invisalign cleaning kit, use it; if not use your regular toothpaste to clean it but avoid using cleaning solutions with harsh chemicals. Invisalign aligners are generally stain resistant but if a stubborn stain persists, they can be cleaned by soaking in half a cup of water at room temperature with 10 drops of Clorox bleach for 20 minutes. Take not that you can only do this occasionally. Otherwise your aligners may look or feel strange because of bleaching.
- Do not expose your Invisalign aligners to warm temperatures.Remember that Invisalign is made of plastic resin and can be distorted when exposed to extreme heat.
- Avoid eating and drinking hot food and beverage while wearing your aligners. Remove your Invisalign aligners before taking in hot food and drinks. Drinking cool water with the Invisalign on, however, is recommended. There are times when it is okay to eat and drink with the aligners on, but as a general rule remove your aligners before eating and drinking.
- Prevent staining the Invisalign by not smoking. This goes both ways – for your teeth and your aligners. Smoking is bad for your healt but if you do have to smoke, remove your aligners prior to smoking.
- Do not chew gum while wearing Invisalign. Gum can get stuck to your aligners and damage them altogether.
- Store the aligners properly. When not in use, use the case provided by your orthodontist when Invisalign aligners are not worn. That’s what they are for.
Orthodontic treatments and dental appliances don’t come in cheap. For optimum results and for better value of your money, be wise and take care of your Invisalign aligners properly.